Requisition Number: 2023-4911
Type of Position: Full-Time
Location: Clinton, MD
Come work with a great team! Signet Health provides the behavioral health services for MedStar Southern Maryland Hospital Center. We are hiring for a full-time Unit Secretary. This is a non-exempt, hourly position from 8:00 am to 8:30 pm (three (3) – 12 hour shift) and 8 hour shift (8:00 am – 4:30 pm) every other weekend (for a total of 40 hours per week).
We offer a competitive salary with a comprehensive benefits package including generous PTO.
The Unit Secretary performs a variety of administrative duties for the inpatient nursing unit/department. This person ensures the timely, efficient and organized flow of operations for the assigned nursing station/area. Incumbents in this position may perform all, or a combination of, the duties described depending upon their assigned work area and the specific needs of the department.
- Greets patients, visitors and/or physicians and provides appropriate assistance. Answers incoming telephone calls to the unit, including STATS, relaying information as appropriate. Responds to or relays patient requests to the nurse.
- Enters/updates physician orders and unit charges into the computer, e.g. laboratory tests, dietary orders, physical therapy, supplies/treatment utilized, as needed.
- Initiates and completes administrative functions regarding the admission, discharge and transfer of patients.
- Faxes physician’s orders to the Pharmacy. Completes and ensures delivery of unit census, patient acuity summary, etc.
- Files laboratory, x-ray reports, progress reports, etc., in the appropriate patient medical chart.
- Contacts other hospital departments and/or staff to schedule patient’s diagnostic/therapeutic appointments, and/or requests assistance with ancillary tasks.
- Assists in maintaining unit supplies/equipment by monitoring inventory levels, ordering supplies, as instructed and completes appropriate logs.
- Provides shift report to on-coming Unit Secretary or nursing staff.
- Maintains a clean, organized and efficient work station.
- Assists with the orientation/training of new employees to the unit, as directed.
- Maintains daily census/nursing assignment boards. Posts and updates monthly assignment boards for physicians and residents.
- Captures and maintains statistical data on utilization payor mix, census, average length of stay and other critical elements.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates should have a minimum of 3 years experience in working with patients with psychiatric/behavioral health disorders. Must be flexible to adjust to the needs of a fast-paced environment, demonstrate effective problem solving skills and display excellent oral/written communication skills. Previous adult behavioral health and substance use treatment experience is preferred. High School degree is required. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Healthcare or similar discipline is preferred.
The Behavioral Health Unit includes a 24 bed Adult inpatient unit and Partial Hospitalization Program.